Monday, March 30, 2009

A Bear in the Woods?

Here's a weird one: there may be a bear running around Rendlesham Forest, England!

As some of you may know, the forest's main claim to fame is that it was the site (in December 1980) of what is without doubt Britain's most famous UFO incident.

So, is a bear really on the loose in an area of forest that just happened to already be dominated by high-strangeness? My guess is no. Rather, I suspect that - like so many places around the world - Rendlesham Forest is a classic window area of the type that attracts (or opens doorways to?) Fortean oddities.

Interestingly, in my 2004 book Three Men Seeking Monsters, I related the story of a man named Sam Holland who claimed to have seen in Rendlesham Forest a beast that sounds somewhat like that which is currently being reported - but way back in 1956.

Whatever the nature of the current critter, I suspect we haven't seen the last of it...

3 comments:

cryptidsrus said...

I agree with that, Nick...

Regan Lee said...

As do I.

Nick Redfern said...

It's a very odd tale, and getting odder by the minute. But, I'll continue to keep everyone informed of all developments.