Monday, September 29, 2008

There's Something in..."UFO"


The new issue of UFO Magazine includes an interview with me about my latest book, There's Something in the Woods.

As I say in the interview:

"Previously, my UFO books have been strictly on UFOs; and my crypto-zoology books have been strictly on unknown animals. But the new book is slightly different. Basically, it chronicles my investigations into a whole range of weird phenomena that I dug into over the course of the last two years – both in the United States and in my home-country of England – and some of them were focused on UFO-related phenomena, and others were on strange creatures. And there were more than a few cases that crossed over into both camps.

"I need to qualify that with a statement first. When I first got involved with both the UFO issue and with crypto-zoology, I took pretty much a black-and-white approach: Bigfoot was a giant ape, and UFOs were nuts-and-bolts spacecraft. And, in some cases, that may be so. But, as witnesses, researchers and investigators of both areas will be fully aware, there are those incidents that are far less easy to reconcile in literal terms of this or that. I’m talking about where you seem to find evidence of both UFO and crypto data in one particular incident: a so-called cross-over case, as I like to call them.

"I’ll be the first to admit that many researchers are very against the idea that it’s anything other than all black-and-white. But there’s clear evidence, time and again, that in places where there is one paranormal mystery present, there is often another, too. And very often, this occurs in areas of dense woods and forests – hence the title of the new book, and the fact that it covers various subjects and things that have manifested in the woods of both America and Britain."

4 comments:

cryptidsrus said...

Loved the interview, Nick.

Good review of Dr. Friedman's Flying Saucers book also. I read it.

Nick Redfern said...

C:
Cool, glad you caught the interview!

NickJones said...

Nick, I'm very interested in that area of research, crossover cases. Frankly, Bigfoot bores me (sorry, Loren); lately, UFO cases pretty much the same, what with all the CG kiddies and the un focused, wobbly lights in the sky. But if someone sees a Sasquatch sitting under a UFO, petting a Black Dog while Gef the Talking Mongoose perches on his shoulder, and a nearby house is being demolished by a poltergeist, I'm there!

I also wanted to say that "There's Something in the Woods..." has to be the spookiest damn title ever, IMO. Sounds like something a character in a horror film says just before all Hell breaks loose - definitely a phrase you don't want to hear from your friends when you are camping out!

Nick Redfern said...

Many thanks for the words, Nick. Yeah, there's definitely something very weird about the various "creatures" that are out there; and I now think more than ever that trying to solve the puzzle in a conventional way just won't work.