Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Brad Steiger's Real Vampires

Legendary author Brad Steiger has a new book out right now titled Real Vampires, Night Stalkers and Creatures from the Darkside.

My copy arrived in the mail today; and a full-length review will appear right here just as soon as I have digested its blood-soaked pages (okay, I have to confess they aren't really blood-soaked; I just want to try and build up the atmosphere!).

When Brad was in the planning stages of the book, he asked me if I would be interested in submitting some material for the book.

Well, as someone who has been a big fan of Brad's work since my early teens, my answer was, of course: "Yes!"

And, so, that's precisely what I did.

In my 6-page article/contribution, titled Welcome to Blood Island, I focused my attention on my various expeditions to the island of Puerto Rico, in search of the island's most legendary blood-sucker: the diabolical and infamous Chupacabras.

The illustrated article details some of the highlights of my trips to Puerto Rico; a wealth of startling eye-witness testimony relative to the beast and its violent attacks; and much more.

As my paper also reveals, not all vampires look like Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee, or the many and varied other bygone vampires of yesteryear. Nor do they all resemble the pale-skinned and black-garbed Marilyn Manson-style creatures of the night, with which today's world of Hollywood is seemingly so obsessed.

No: some of them are even more horrific - and top of the list (in my view, at least) is that glowing eyed, razor-clawed, blood-drinking predator, the Chupacabras.

For anyone and everyone interested in vampires of all manner, description and style, Brad's new book is not to be missed!

5 comments:

Gummerfan said...

Oddly enough, I ran across this title while doing some web research on "Real Vampires". My copy is already en route!

Red Pill Junkie said...

Cool coincidence! I was thinking of you Nick. I'm reading Guillermo del Toro's book 'The Strain', and i recommend you grab a copy ASAP —one of the characters has your last name! ;-)

Red Pill Junkie said...

PS: Check out TDG's Quote of the Day for this Thursday :-)

Anonymous said...

Am I the only cryptid fan to find it strange how the original chupa has transformed into a dead dog in Texas? It's got nothing in common with the original monster!
the Puerto Rican thing had more in common with the Skinwalker Ranch wolf, in that both seemed to be the product of cybernetic/robotic/reanimation experiments.Not bald mutts.

Nick Redfern said...

Bigfoot73:

You're right - the "Texas Chupacabras" are indeed hairless canids. I actually have a skull of one of them given to me by Walt Andrus of MUFON.

The DNA is definitely canid.

I think what has happened, is that the TX media realize it's a great talking point and a great news story, and using the Chupacabras name generates publicity.

But, it has zero to do with the creature on Puerto Rico - whatever that may be!