Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ugly, Ugly, Ugly!

This, over at Cryptomundo, may turn out to have a prosaic explanation - or maybe not. Whatever the case, it's one ugly critter!


Deby said...

Looks like a furless cat that someone placed a beak over the nasal area. A few more pics and as you said something for scale would have answered many questions.

Nick Redfern said...

Yeah. It's interesting, but I'd urge caution and suggest all conventional options be looked at first, to see if they can be eliminated or not.

Neil A said...

Maybe a dog ? Is it really a beak or simply a nasal bone/upper jaw ? Looks roughly dog-sized. Surely there should be more photos. Why do people always take just one ?

cryptidsrus said...

Well, Nick, the current explanation from the "authorities"---the "prosaic" one---is that it is a "racoon."

Pardon Me???

That has got the biggest racoon in the universe (if that would be the case). I'm sorry, I don't buy that. I'm willing to consider a canine. Maybe a mutated pit bull ( as somebody told me).

I admit we should look for the most simple, "normal" explanation and see if it fits the facts (a la Occam's Razor) but I have to admit that it is too creepy of a "coincidence" that this whatever-it-is washed up in Montauk Island, THE Moutauk place---it of the ghastly history---you know the story, don't you Nick?

If Occam fails, then we must put away the razor and look somewhere else. Doctors have a saying---"When you hear hoofbeats, think of a horse, not a zebra." Well, docs, sometimes it is a zebra that is galloping there. Accept it. Lisa Shiel came to mind as I saw the picture.

I agree this thing is creepy. Out of H.R. Giger's daydreams.

Nick Redfern said...

LOl, yes I think a racoon is highly unlikely!!
Yeah, it is odd that it appeared at Montauk, given all the high strangeness in the area. Yes, I've read a a lot about Montauk and it's definitely a weird set of events. The Giger comment is right on target!

Yeah, I think the beak angle could actually be nasal bone that makes it appear as a beak, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

MountainWench said...

More like a rodent than a cat. Creepy no matter you look at the beast.