Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Ohio Grassman


A week or so ago I was sent a review copy of Christopher L. Murphy's book Bigfoot Encounters in Ohio: Quest for the Grassman. Having now read it, I can say that is a very good book that I definitely recommend to those interested in the Bigfoot phenomenon.

Running in at around 150 pages, the book begins with a welcome background section on Bigfoot that acts a great introduction for people new to the subject; and also provides snippets of little-known data that will be of great interest to the seasoned researcher. And then it's on to all-things hairy and large in Ohio...

The issue of whether or not the state of Ohio could indeed support Bigfoot activity is addressed (and answered); and some fascinating historical material on "First Nation" tales and legends of "Wild Men" is discussed.

I was particularly impressed by Chapter 4 - Ohio Bigfoot in Review - which reveals the sheer number of startling reports of man-beast activity in the state; both recently and in decades past. For those that want to learn more about Bigfoot activity that is not solely restricted to the Pacific Northwest, this chapter alone makes Bigfoot Encounters in Ohio essential reading.

Questions pertaining to Bigfoot activity and its habits are raised, the Patterson film-footage of 1967 is studied, and the reader is treated to a wealth of intriguing photographs and drawings that superbly complement the book's glossy pages.

Hancock House - the publishers of the book - have a large back catalog of Bigfoot titles, and in the coming weeks I will be reviewing more of their cryptozoological output.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

HEY NICK,I AM A 100% BELIEVER IN GRASSMAN!! MY NAME IS JEFF AND I SAW THE PROGRAM ON MONSTERQUEST YESTERDAY ABOUT THIS CREATURE. I HAVE TO TELL YOU OR SOMEONE OF MY EXPERIENCE A YEAR AGO LAST AUGUST[2008]..I'M NOT CRAZY,OK! I AM A REGIONAL TRUCK DRIVER FOR THE U.S.P.S AND AT THAT TIME I HAD A ROUTE FROM CINCINNATI[WHERE I LIVE] TO PITTSBURGH AND BACK.MY RETURN TRIP ALWAYS BROUGHT ME ACROSS I-70 WESTBOUND TO COLUMBUS 4 DAYS A WEEK. I NEVER THOUGHT MUCH OF THIS UNTIL I SAW THE SHOW AND BY GOD,...I SAW IT!! THIS IS NO BULL.I CAN STILL REMEMBER IT'S EYES.AS I TRAVELED WEST ON 70 I NOTICED SOMETHING BIG AND DARK STANDING ON THE HILL SIDE OUT OF THE TREE LINE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.IT WAS GETTING CLOSE TO DUSK,SO I HAD MY LIGHTS ON AND AS I GOT CLOSE AND LOOKED TO THE RIGHT,I SAW A LARGE CREATURE,I THOUGHT WAS A BEAR AT FIRST,ALL BLACK AND COVERED IN FUR,BUT IT WAS NO BEAR! IT WAS STANDING ERECT,ALMOST STRAIGHT AND WAS AN EASY 8 TO 9 FEET TALL.I COULD JUDGE THE HEIGHT BECAUSE IT WAS ONLY 25-30 FEET OFF THE HIGHWAY SATNDING BEHIND THE GUARDRAIL.IT HAD A VERY LARGE CHEST AREA AND BIG,I MEAN BIG ARMS.THE MOST EERIE THING WAS ITS EYES,LIKE A DARK RED AND SLIGHTLY BRIGHT FROM MY HEADLIGHTS AS I PASSED BY.IT WAS STARING AT ME AND TURNED ITS HEAD TO WATCH ME AS I WENT PAST.THAT REALLY HAD MY HAIR ON MY NECK STANDING UP!! IT WAS PRETTY UNSETTLING FOR A WHILE.AND I WATCHED THE HILL SIDES IN THAT AREA FOR A LONG TIME ON MY TRIPS,BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SINCE.I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS THING UNTIL YESTERDAY.I'LL TELL YOU WHAT,IT'S SOMETHING I'LL NEVER FORGET!! THE AREA WHERE I SAW IT WAS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF I 70 ABOUT 35 MILES EAST OF THE COLUMBUS BYPASS.PRETTY REMOTE AREA EXCEPT FOR FARMS.MY EMAIL IS JGRETHER61@GMAIL.COM.I'D APRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS ANIMAL OR WHAT EVER IT IS . RESPECTFULLY JEFF GRETHER